In Nashville, where I live, I constantly see billboards for popular YouTubers…which tells me that Google (who owns them) is investing a lot of money into helping popular brands succeed. More and more frequently, we are seeing popular YouTubers transcend the internet and move into more traditional media and movies, knocking down the gatekeepers that held the old guard in place. Guess what? It’s still free to start making this type of content. All you need is a laptop with a webcam and a free YouTube account. You can record the videos on your computer and upload them. Within minutes, you’re up and running. Of course, you’ll improve your content and upgrade your equipment as you keep going…but the point is that it’s free to start. So what are you waiting for?
How to produce content that people want to read, watch or listen to:The first decision you’ll have to make is what you want to talk about. This applies not just to written content, but to all content. What are you good at? What could you talk about enthusiastically for days from many different angles? It could be one thing, or a collection of things, but find those core ideas. For instance, the core idea and focus behind FEA is helping to inspire entreprenuers,especially female entreprenuers while sharing strategies that can help you live an amazing life and achieve incredible things by upgrading their wealth, health and happiness. I use my own experiences to write about making more money, becoming more well-rounded and feeling better about yourself. This could take the form of:
- Step-by-step how to’s for starting a freelance business
- Case studies of successful readers and students who’ve left their boring jobs to become entrepreneurs
- Thought pieces on my philosophies behind improving your self-confidence and psychology
- Interviews with successful people
- “Ask the reader” pieces where I want to hear a consensus from my audience on a specific point or idea
- A step-by-step guide to make your first $1,000 freelancing
- Breaking down the biggest myths about self employment
- 10 helpful tools to start your freelance business
- How to raise the rates in your freelance business
- How to come up with a good idea for a freelance business
- An interview with 3 successful Freelance Domination 2.0 students
The take-away you need to remember.Your success in the online business game starts with free content. Once people read, watch or listen to your free content, they have the opportunity to become part of your little corner of the internet — and those relationships are the backbone of your online business. To create content that feeds your online business selling digital products, you’ll need to keep two important things in mind:
- Above all, you must be consistent. Since content is so easy and cheap to produce, you have to demonstrate that you’re willing to show up every day, no matter what. Even before you’re getting paid to do so — which could be for a while. Create a content schedule and stick to it. Without exception, I send out blog posts 3-5x per week and have been doing so for years. If you want this to become a business, you have to treat it like a business.
- You must include a call to action back (CTA) that points reader to a website where people can learn more about your ideas, and sign up for your email list. In online business, collecting email addresses is EVERYTHING. In many cases, having a small, dedicated list of email subscribers is more valuable that a giant social media following or millions of eyeballs on a viral video. Your email list will allow you to capture the attention of your audience long term, deliver value consistently and create a relationship over time that will generate money for years to come.